. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Monday, August 15, 2011

Keeping Your Marriage Vows

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

EPHESIANS 5:22-25 ~ “Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her.”

I felt a pinch in my heart when my husband told his employer that if he has to choose between his wife and his job, that he would choose his wife. I was taken aback…speechless for a moment! I was certainly humbled by my husband’s boldness and unselfish remark—for thinking about me.  All I could think of was to God be all the glory in Christ Jesus! His manner of pouring his thoughts toward his boss was not out of arrogance or pride, not even with an intention of losing his job, but more so to honor God by keeping his married vows.  What was more humbling was that, by God's grace, he didn't lose his job and his boss appreciated his honesty and sincerity.  Friend, my intention of sharing this journal with you is not to lift up my husband and for what he did—for even my husband said to me: “To God be all the glory, Lin!”,  but to lift up and praise the name of God and for what He has done to my husband’s life when he accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as his Lord and Personal Savior and became born again at the age of 25. God’s Word said: “For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with Him. Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.” (1 Thessalonians 5:9-11). Indeed truly, to have found and be blessed by God with a husband ( and vice versa ) who seeks to honor the Lord in this present generation is like finding the rarest gem this world has ever known. It is spiritually encouraging!
...When I was a teenager I told my mother: “I only want to get married once. I don't believe in divorce nor living together. If I can't find the right man for me, then I'm better off single, serving God, for the rest of my life.”...
However, heedful to God's will in my life, that I would be content either way. I thought, God could still use any person for His ministry whether they're single or married. But now I know that being married is what God's will in my life. You see, Friend, our God is a great God. A loving and faithful God ... "Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him" (Proverbs 30:5). I waited patiently and prayed to God unceasingly until that day in January of 1998, that God granted my plea, when I walked down the aisle with David—whom God gave me to be my lifetime partner. Looking back almost 17 years ago—not only that God gave me a lifetime partner, but He also gave me a lifetime partner in faith—who led me to Christ in 1998. And, being married to a saved (born again) Christian is already half the battle. Now, David and I are both serving the LORD in different areas of our lives according to which the LORD has called us to do. But the amazing thing is, though we each are blessed with different talents and skills, but God uses those talents and skills by allowing us to work together—as husband and wife—to become a strength for each other.  As David pictures it this way:
"Marriage is like a triangle, with Christ at the center of the marriage, the husband walks on one side and the wife walks on the other side. As they both desire to walk towards Christ (the point of the triangle)—the closer they get to each other...for each other."
I remember a good friend of mine asked me awhile back, "Erlinda, what is the secret recipe of your marriage?"  I said to my friend, "My husband and I don't really have a secret recipe. We are both saved by the Lord Jesus Christ—we became new creations in Christ…” (2 Corinthians 5:17), we put Christ at the center of our marriage…of our lives, we pray for each other, we are mindful of each others strengths more so with our weaknesses, we made a covenant to toss pride out of the window, and ultimately by the love and grace of God we love each other unconditionally."

Friend, I don't know where you are right now with your own marriage, just always remember that no matter how bad your situation is, there is hope.  Go to the LORD, allow Him to heal your relationship, your marriage.  Don't give up.  There is hope to those who trust the LORD and seek for His help.

And, if by any chance, the LORD could use this testimony I have read from Revive Our Hearts' daily devotional on their series: What Is Your Foundation For Marriage?  I just couldn't let this day go by without sharing this with you.  I am encouraging you to ask the LORD to give you the wisdom  and strength to spend a portion of your time to read this journal.  Seek Him.  I hope the LORD will use it to enlighten your heart ... your marriage.  May the LORD bless you!

Here's the story from Pastor Loritts:
...“The most powerful person in a man’s life is his wife” ...... “Don’t ever under estimate the power you have in terms of your response in your husband's life. Don't ever under estimate it”... -Pastor Crawford Loritts-
A number of years ago, I was visiting a friend of mine who has a big, gorgeous, lovely home outside of Washington, D.C. He was just a great guy, and he and his wife had just purchased this lovely piece of property. So he was showing me around. He has this big, beautiful golden retriever, too. So here we are, and he’s showing me around the property.

It’s several acres and a lovely home, just gorgeous, but I noticed there wasn’t any fence anywhere around the property. It sits back a little bit, but it’s up against a very busy thoroughfare. So we were walking around, and the dog is following us.

When we get ready to go into the house, I noticed that the dog stays out. I said, “George, aren't you afraid the dog will run off and get out in the street or that something’s going to happen?”

He sort of smiled at me, and he whistled and called the dog. The dog ran up, and he said, “Crawford, I want you to look at something.”

On the collar was this little imperceptible, tiny receiver. He said, “All around here we have something called a hidden fence, and when the dog gets close to the hidden fence, he hears a sound that you and I can't hear, and it's irritating and he backs away.”

In marriage, we need to remember that there is a hidden fence that surrounds the exclusive relationship that we have established. Every once in a while we need to go back and rediscover and remind ourselves about that hidden fence.

Karen and I could have talked about an awful lot of things related to marriage today, but as we thought about this weekend I said, “Sweetheart, why don't we just go back to some very basic things that we typically under pressure, with the stress, struggle, and strain of life, the hassles of life, the problems in life, the bad choices that we even make as adults that affect our relationships, the intrusions in our relationship.

Why don't we go all the way back and remind all of us what is a part of that hidden fence? The first thing is a vision. We need to be reminded of the vision for marriage. What does that look like? All the way back in Genesis 2 . . . By the way, Bible scholars say when you're confused about something or the purpose of something, the very first thing to do is go back when it was first mentioned. It is called the law of first mention.

When you want to know the reason or the purpose for marriage, you go back all the way to the beginning and look at the law of first mention. Here is a law, the law of first mention, the vision for marriage, why marriage, and what it looks like, and what it is launched with is outlined here in Genesis 2:24.

God brings Eve to Adam. She was created for him. And God said these things: “Therefore, a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast,” or the old King James version, “cleave to his wife and they shall become one flesh.” The vision for marriage is wrapped up in those three statements: leaving, cleaving, and the becoming of one flesh.

Leaving has to do with the privacy of the relationship. It has to do with the fact that nobody is in charge of your marriage except you and your husband. Nobody is to interfere with the relationship. You and your husband are in charge of the marriage.

Now please don't get upset with me but sometimes, just like I tell men, I’m going to tell you. Some of you are 40 years old, but you're still acting like a 16-year-old girl when it comes to your responsibility in marriage. We have to leave, leave home emotionally, leave home physically.

Now, in today's economy obviously there are times in which we need help. But to be married means that we have accepted the responsibility that we are now independently dependent upon God and going through life together with a marriage partner.

This is a word that I give to the parents of young people who are being married: “Take your hands off of them.” Leave. Leave. Leave. I tell folks all the time, “Stop making the huge mistake of inviting your parents into your business.” It's a big mistake, and the emotional co-dependency that's there. They are going to be very dead one day, and when they're dead, some of us will continue in our dysfunction. I'm serious about this. There is nothing worse than an adult who has been dependent upon their parents emotionally for their whole lives, and now they don't know what to do.

The vision is that we leave. Leave financially. Leave emotionally. The vision means that we cleave to one another. There is a new identity that is forged when you say, “I do.” It is not two hyper individuals who are enjoying sexual release and having kids and the dual income that's helping us to pay the bills and enjoy a lifestyle. That's the world's negotiated perspective and vision for marriage.

God's vision for marriage is that there is a new identity that's formed, and so you cleave. It is the idea of being bonded to one another. In a certain sense, Karen is me and I am Karen, and there is some intentionality about this. We don't turn on one another when there is a crisis, but we turn to each other and to God.

There is an intentional moving toward one another. That's the vision, and thirdly, the becoming of one flesh. Now, we typically give a one-dimensional perspective on that saying it's sexual intimacy. It is sexual intimacy, but it's deeper than that. It is not an unhealthy smothering of your mate, but rather it is the idea that I want Karen, because she is me, to be everything God wants her to be. It is a oneness that fuels each other. Now, what happened when you said, “I do”?

Part of the problem in our culture is that we've allowed the culture to define what marriage is for us.

Biblical marriage is not an agreement between two parties.
Biblical marriage is not a contractual arrangement.
Biblical marriage is not a matter of having prenuptial agreements where you protect yourself.
Biblical marriage is anchored in the old, historic covenant ceremony.

The word for covenant in Hebrew is the word bariyth. It means “sacred, solemn, binding agreement.”

I told each one of our children when they said that they were going to get married, when our sons-in-law of our daughters when they first came and asked me this, I would say this and it would scare the liver out of them. By the way, at that point fear is good. I would say to them, “Okay, I want you to look me in the eye, son. What you are getting ready to do requires all of you and it is forever. Do you understand me? It's not about feelings. This is your life.”

I said that to my sons when they were telling me, “I’m going to ask Corey to marry me.” “I’m going to ask Brenda to marry me.” “I’m going to ask Lucritia to marry me.” I said, “Okay, okay, fellas, sit down here, like this, buddy. It is forever.”

The covenant ceremony rested upon eight things. I’m not going to go through all eight of them, but I would like to highlight a few of them. Whenever anybody entered into a sacred, solemn, binding agreement, they entered into bariyth.

Number one, there was the statement of the agreement . You knew exactly what you were getting into. You knew exactly what you were getting into. You were leaving, cleaving, and becoming one flesh in the case of marriage. But in the case of covenants, especially God when He established the Abrahamic covenant, He outlined what the vision is, what it looks like. You outline in a covenant what it looks like. This is what we're agreeing to: we're agreeing to leave, cleave, and become one flesh.

The second thing that they would do is they would slay an animal. It wasn't something that was inexpensive. They slayed the most expensive animal they had symbolizing that they're willing to sacrifice all in light of bariyth. In light of the sacred, solemn, binding agreement.

When two people say, “I do,” they say, “I'm excluding all other relationships at the heart level. No one ever will get to this place in my heart. I am excluding everything. I'm sacrificing my future. I’m sacrificing my intentions. This person is now the most important person in my life, period.

The third thing they would do often would be to exchange belts. Now, belts don't mean much to us today. I wear a belt and trust me, it ain’t to keep my pants up. With my girth, I don't need no belt to keep my pants up. Okay? I wear one, you all do, too. You have all kinds of belts, and my wife does, too.

But back then, belts were very significant. You wore belts, particularly in the Old Testament, because often you had to tuck things in your belt. You want to take your garment, if you were running, and push it down in your belt. A belt was worn for support. So when they would exchange vows, the agreement, they would sacrifice something. Then they would give the belt, and that belt says, “I live to support you. I live to support you. There is never going to be a question as to whether or not I'm in your corner. You will never doubt who is always number one in my life. You will never doubt whether or not I have your back. We have entered into sacred, solemn, binding agreement.”

Then often the last thing that they would do would be to exchange weapons. Interesting. They would exchange a sword or a spear. But what the exchange of weapons said was, “Your enemies are now my enemies, and we are not each other's enemy.” Bariyth.

Did you know that the wedding ceremony is probably the last vestige of the ancient covenant ceremony? The vows, the exchange of the ring. Yes. “Until death do us part.” Yes. So even though our culture doesn't intend to call it that, it really is the last vestige of the old covenant ceremony.

And I think, ladies, you know, as we look at our marriage and you look at the troubles and the challenges ... I'm not saying there is never any reason for divorce. I don't even want to go down that road. But what I am saying is this: When you said, “I do,” you didn't do that because you wanted nice dresses and a champagne reception and a great honeymoon. You entered into bariyth.

The third part of this hidden fence ... The first is the vision, okay? Leave, cleave, become one flesh. That's what I'm all about, and that's what the marriage is all about. Secondly is to take a look at: What did I do? When you said, “I do,” you did. You entered into a sacred, solemn, binding agreement. But the third thing is to understand the relationship, to understand the biblical guidelines for the relationship.

I just want to take you to Ephesians 5. Here is where the apostle Paul says, “Okay, this is what, in essence, a distinctively Christian marriage should look like.” He says in verse 22,
Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. Now as a church submits to Christ, so wives should submit in everything to their husbands (verses 22-24, ESV).
You should never submit to your husbands in areas of sin. You should never submit to them if they're asking you to lie or if they're asking you to do harmful things. God never wants us in the name of submission to submit to sin.

Submission does not mean an admission of weakness. Submission has nothing to do with an admission of weakness. Submission has to do with the acknowledgement of headship, not an admission of weakness. My wife is far more gifted in many, many, many areas than I will ever be. She can do things on the back stroke that I'll struggle with. It is not an admission of weakness. It is an alignment issue. It is honoring the fact that my husband is the head of this household.

Thirdly, submission does not mean that your husband is always right. He could be as wrong as two left shoes.

Submission, number four, does not mean that you don't lovingly correct or challenge your husband. Karen does that to me all the time. If she feels like I'm wrong, typically this is what will happen. At this stage of the game, I’ve got to tell you something: I can't imagine anything that I would do if my wife was vehemently opposed to it. I just need to say that right now. After almost 40 years of marriage, I don't know of much that if she was that upset about it that I might say, “Hey, Leroy.” Experience ain’t always the best teacher, but if it's the only school a fool attends, I might want to step back a little bit.

But, having said that, she has said something like this to me in the past. We have gone at it about things that she's disagreed with me about, and this is what she'll say. “Well, honey, I just want to tell you, I think you're wrong, but I got your back. I'm going to submit to this, but I think you're wrong, and I'm going to go to God.”

Now, I've learned when women start praying, that's an unfair advantage. So I've been whooped a couple times by Jesus by being just full of my testosterone, shall I say? Uh-oh. I can't say that? Okay, so that's not what submission is.

The hardest job in this text, and I say it all the time. I'm not just being cute. It's a man's responsibility. As husbands, we're to love our wives as Christ loved the church. If the men were here, I'd say to them, “I don't know a woman in the world who would not respond to that type of leadership, as Jesus loved the church sacrificially and attentively, giving Himself up for her.”

So the vision is, in terms of the role, this part of that hidden fence, the relationship, a wife is to submit to her husband and not just be, you know, a pain, emasculating him because every time he turns around he feels challenged.

I just need to shoot straight with you. One of the biggest problems that men have in this culture is that they've been feminized. I didn't say homosexual. They've been feminized. Many have grown up in situations where their fathers were not involved in their lives or they were totally absent. They've grown up with strong, domineering women, and they have felt beaten down. Sometimes they’ve married women who were strong. Now, I’m not against strong women. I’m married to one of them. They married women who are strong, and he's trying to take leadership and in everything that he does, he's being cut off at his knees.

So I want to encourage you. The most powerful person in a man's life is his wife. Don't ever under estimate the power you have in terms of your response in your husband's life. Don't ever under estimate that. It’s unbelievable. You may have to lose some things and allow him to make some foolish decisions which may be wrong, granted, but that will reap a bumper crop in terms of the health of the relationship because he knows that you're not fighting him but you're with him. 
_______________________________________________________
Reference: Revive Our Hearts Ministry in the Series: What Is Your Foundation For Marriage? by Crawford  and Karen Loritts.

Related Journals: