. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Friday, January 31, 2014

Enduring The Storms Of Life

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

ISAIAH 25:4 – "For You have been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat; For the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall."

Dear Friend, the storms of life comes in various faces. Such predicament is inevitable. I’m sure majority of us are well aware of that.  Storms in the face of wars and famine. They can be in the face of  Mother nature: tsunamis, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanic eruption, blizzards, and yes, deadly tornados—which what we have been dealing with quite a bit lately. There are storms fuming from economic landslide resulting to loss of jobs among the majority. There are storms in our personal lives: perhaps illness, disease, relational chaos, emotional breakdown, and family dysfunction. And yet in all these things there is but only ONE God. Who still sits on His throne … still in control of the world He created. We may live in a fallen world but we do not serve a fallen God.

Even King David (who was a friend of God) was in much strife and havoc. He prayed a powerful prayer to the God of his salvation. He emptied out his heart and every emotion to the God he knew was well able to comfort him and save him.  In his prayer in Psalms 55, he pleads:
"Oh, that I had wings like a dove! I would fly away and be at rest. Indeed, I would wander far off, and remain in the wilderness. I would hasten my escape from the windy storm and tempest." (v. 6-8)
What a stunning picture of how most of us feel in the storms of life. We just want to fly away somewhere, perhaps to where no one can even find us, anywhere to get away from the perhaps overwhelming problems and turmoil we are facing. Wishing the ground will open wide and swallow us up. Like David, we want to escape, just hurry up and get past the pain somehow. These are human responses to "pit-dwelling" but let us not remain in the pit. Let us call on our God to save us and deliver us for we too know God is well able.

God wants His people to dwell in peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places (Isaiah 32:18). We do go through times of disturbance, times of trials and tribulations, times of anguish, and unrest. But God is our rock and our fortress. He alone will see us safely through. He can make a way where there is no way. He did not say we would never face times of sufferings and heartaches, but He did say He would never leave us nor forsake us (Hebrews 13:5). Whatever storms you may be in today, know that God is right there with you. Call upon His name in your times of trouble for He will not leave you in discomfort.

The psalmist says in Psalms 142:3 – "When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk they have secretly set a snare for me." May these words of inspiration lift up your hearts and give you the courage to call on God with confidence and wait for Him patiently to show you the right path of perfect escape.
"Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
Whatever your problems are.  No matter how big they are.  Don't forget that God is still sitting on His throne.  Don't try to understand always the Lord's ways but learn to trust Him no matter what.

Problems can either make a person bitter or better.  Which one are you?

May the grace of our LORD Jesus Christ be with you.