. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Life Is A Vapor

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

written in loving memory of a dear friend, Roger G. Layson
born on: March 1, 1960
died on: April 4, 2011

JAMES 4:13-15 ~ “Come now, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a city, spend a year there, buy and sell, and make a profit”; whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. Instead you ought to say, “If the Lord wills, we shall live and do this or that.”

I had a quiet evening with my mother while watching the news over a cup of coffee, when the quietness of the evening was stunned by the news that a dear friend of ours has passed away.  Eventhough we knew it was coming, but we just can't help not to get startled knowing that it has finally happened.

I had such great  memories with Roger (my family and I), more than I could ever think of.   He knew me when I was still a budding teenager to the day I got married. He knew my life before I became a saved Christian.  When I moved to the United States in 1998, our friendship still remains.  When I came to visit the Philippines in 2006 for a mission trip, I thought of Roger ... I paid him a visit and brought him his favorite 'siopao' and 'empanada'.  We were so delighted to see each other after such a long time.  He looked very frail. He told me that his stroke made him to retire early from his job at the Department of Tourism.  We chatted for a long time ... catching up with the past.

The turning point of that meeting was the opportunity to share with him my new life in Christ.  I took the chance thinking I may never have the chance again to talk about salvation in Jesus Christ alone.  And you know what friend, GOD is GOOD!  I thought he was going to push me away but he didn't ... he listened as I watched the tears coming down from his eyes.  I was very surprised!   I may not know exactly what was going on in his mind and in his heart for only God knows, but in an instant, I saw a glow on his face!  And, because of the abounding grace and mercies of God, that I was blessed with more opportunities to visit him everytime I come to visit Davao.  The last time I saw him alive was during my visit last year.   He told me that he was so thankful and happy that we saw each other again.  Little did I know that that was going to be our last time together.  And now, on this year's visit, I will see him againat his funeral.

I could only hope that during his last days here on earth that Roger remembered our conversation together about Jesus Christ and have accepted Him as His Lord and Personal Saviormy greatest gift to him. I hope I’ll get to see him in Heaven when my time comes.

Sure enough, the clock is ticking and  life is too short to be wasted.  As James 4:14 says, "whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away."  What a stunning reminder for all of us

From my family and I,  our deepest sympathy for the loss of a dear friend, Roger G. Layson (retired Department of Tourism Assistant Regional Director, writer and columnist of Mindanao Daily Mirror, Consultant on Tourism Affairs-Office of the City Mayor, City of Davao). In memory of a good friendship.