. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Friday, March 25, 2011

Inner Beauty

PROVERBS 31:30 ~ "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised."

A woman recently received a free sample of a popular fashion magazine. Almost immediately after opening it, she threw it away and then took the trash bag to the trash barrel outside the house. "It was depressing," she explained. "I’m sure some of the models could have been naturally pretty, but they were all given so much gaudy makeup and bizarre costumes that they actually looked ugly. One was even made to look like a corpse. It was just trash." Instead of appreciating God-given, true beauty, our world tends to set up unrealistic expectations for women.

In our day, magazine editors spend thousands of dollars and computer technology to give models an idealized look. In Esther’s day, members of the royal harem spent a full year undergoing beauty treatments in preparation for one night with the king.

Esther was required to undergo these treatments, even though she had "a beautiful figure and was lovely to look at" (Esther 2:7). The young woman possessed natural, God-given beauty that had nothing to do with the oil and spices she received while in the harem. If Esther had focused only on maintaining physical beauty, we probably would never have heard of her. But because she cultivated inward qualities of submission, wisdom, and courage, she is remembered today.

The apostle Peter reminds us how important those inward characteristics are, saying, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment  ... Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight" (1 Peter 3:3-4, NIV).

"Esther had inner beauty, poise, character worthy of admiration, and a winsome spirit. She didn’t gain favor with the king and others by being a whining, moody, pouting, controlling, self-centered, shrewish woman!" -Nancy Leigh DeMoss-

MAKING IT PERSONAL

1. Do you spend more time, attention, and energy on outward beauty or on inward character?

2. Do the magazines you read and the television programs you watch give you an accurate picture of beauty? Do you need to make any changes to help you focus on inward qualities?

(Journaled in collaboration with Revive Our Hearts Ministry)