. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Monday, January 24, 2011

What A Friend We Have In Jesus

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson


JOHN 15:11-15 ~ "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you."

"... What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!
What a privilege to carry,
Everything to God in prayer!
Oh, what a peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what a needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer ... " 

These are some of the words that Joseph M. Scriven wrote as he was trying to comfort his dying mother. He was the writer of one of the most beloved hymns of all times, 'What A Friend We Have In Jesus', written on 1855. I caught myself humming to the tune of this song, as the words echoe to every wall of my heart ... as I was reading my friends emails and postings. Like me, Joseph, went through a lot of pains and trials during his life. While reading his biography, I stumbled on the above scriptures and thought of Abraham and his friendship with God. What did Abraham do to earn the right to be called a friend of God? He simply believed, and was rewarded for his belief with a relationship with God, "And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, "Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness." And he was called the friend of God." (James 2:23). The faith of Abraham rested in God Himself. He knew the God he was dealing with. It was a personal confidence in the One whom he could utterly trust. The real secret of Abraham's whole life was in his Friendship with God. He knew God to be his great, good and faithful Friend. Taking Him at His word, he step forward.

"A man who has friends must himself be friendly..." (Prov 18:24a)

Now, I can only speak for myself: I have my own shares of ups and downs in the path of friendship. I don't pretend to be the perfect friend, but I am through with "spurious friendships". But even so we have friends whose traits we sometimes find frustrating. My key to accepting these traits is to put myself in the Lord Jesus' shoes: What will Jesus do? Instead of looking at their shortcomings - I'd like to see them in light of their potential and remind myself that they are God's handiwork and that Jesus died for them. A bossy friend who likes to make decisions for the group may be a born leader. An impatient friend can be a great source of energy. A picky, critical friend is an asset when a project needs to be precise and accurate. A friend who is overly into dieting can be a healthy reminder not to pig yourself out. A rigid, follow-the-rules friend can be appreciated for the right discipline. A frugal friend can be a shelter on rainy days. A pushover friend is agreeable and easy-going.

I believe that a true friend is one who sticks with you no matter what the circumstances. Whose love is not dependent on things going well. Not on what or how much he or she can get from the other person. Who loves at all times..(Prov. 17:17). A friend gives you a sense of security knowing that your secrets will not be broadcast over the rooftops. Who points you to the truth even if it hurts-for the sake of good. Who offers the comfort of God's grace when you are hurting. Not full of pretentions and mockery. Whose loyalty is based on unconditional love and respect.

"... but there is a Friend who sticks closer than a brother." (Proverbs 18:24b)

There is a friend who stands by our side more than our own brothers and sisters. To have the heart like Christ, that you and I can be that kind of a friend. So we should appreciate the relationships that God has given us because they all add something unique to our lives. Like Abraham, having a Friend in the Lord Jesus, as He modeled it before the watching, unfriendly world, that I am able to see the glass half full and embrace friendship in a new dimension - a Friendship that I know is true and everlasting—in Jesus. My LORD ... my SAVIOR ... my BEST FRIEND!
"Faithful are the wounds of a friend, but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful." (Proverbs 27:6)