. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Monday, December 20, 2010

The God of the Impossible

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

MATTHEW 19:26 ~ ""Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.""

Do you remember Elizabeth, the mother of John the Baptist? She lived with the pain of unfulfilled longings, desires unmet, children held in her heart but never in her arms. Hope for bearing was now long past, the dreams of youth swallowed by a barren womb. Scripture notes that Elizabeth was “righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord” yet she struggled under a shadow of shame. In her culture, childlessness was viewed as a sign of God’s disfavor.

But things are not always as they appear. Elizabeth may have faced the brunt of local gossip or snide remarks. She may have wandered down many dark paths of the heart, questioning God’s purposes, struggling to not be insecure of the expectant mother she might encounter. She may have long since given up hope, but God had plans beyond what she could have imagined.

I love when God steps in and brings the impossible. Before Gabriel’s shocking arrival, who would’ve thought Elizabeth would bear a child in her old age? Who could have imagined her son’s vital role as the forerunner of the Messiah? Who would’ve believed an angel would deliver his birth announcement? Only the faith-filled heart expects God to step in to do the impossible.

Elizabeth
’s cold barrenness and years of humiliation melted like snow under warming sun as she praised God’s unexpected work in her life, "The Lord has done this for me," she said. "In these days He has shown His favor and taken away my disgrace among the people." (Luke 1:25). Her son would serve as the final Old Testament prophet, preparing the way for the new – God bringing the impossible once again.

"And you, my child, will be called a prophet of the Most High; for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for Him, to give His people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins." (Luke 1:76-77).

Perhaps you’re in a cold and barren place today. Look beyond your current griefs, beyond what you now see with eyes of faith. Fix your heart on the One who can step into the darkest of nights and flood the sky with unexpected light. He’s the One who can bring life to the barren and deliverance to the captive. Lay your need before Him. He’s able. He’s the God of the impossible.

What are the impossible things you are expecting God to do in your own life?