. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Sunday, October 07, 2018

The Power Of A Thorn In The Flesh

By: Strength For Today
On 17th of October 2010 at 21:32PM CDT
Posted on Sunday, the 7th of October, 2018 at 20:43PMCDT

2 CORINTHIANS 12:9-10 ~ "And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."


One of the hardest things to take up in life are the hardships that God sends our way that sometimes have nothing to do with our actions. These hardships have been described by the Apostle Paul as "...a thorn in the flesh..." (2 Corinthians 12:7). This thorn in the flesh is usually something that either causes us much physical pain or some trying circumstance that we must go through. These things are not things that we ask for and neither are they anything that God has sent our way to punish us. If you are going to be used of God, you may have a thorn in your flesh that you may need to put up with.

So, what is the purpose of having a thorn in the flesh? Let me share with you these reasons drawn out from our Scripture reference.

First, the thorn in the flesh is there to keep us humble. At times, when God begins to use us, we become prideful, and so God allows thorns to keep us from boasting, "...except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ..." (Galatians 6:14). Though we may not like this thorn in the flesh, but then, it will be good for us - for it keeps us humble.

Secondly, God puts these thorns in our pathway to remind us of our humanity. To remind us of how weak and fragile we are and how strong and sturdy God is. If we are not careful and become too complaisant of our position in God, we will begin to rely on our own strength and not of God's.

Thirdly, the thorns in the flesh are there for us to experience the amazing grace and mercies of God through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Nothing will help us grow more in our Christian lives than to walk in His grace constantly by having a personal relationship with His Son Jesus Christ. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast." (Ephesians 2:8-9).

And lastly, the purpose of a thorn in the flesh is so we can have the power of Christ rest upon us. If having a thorn in the flesh is to obtain God's strength in times of weakness, then it is truly worth having! "...And He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the LORD." (Psalm 31:24). We need to rely on God's power everyday to survive.

If you are one of those who are currently experiencing a thorn in the flesh in Christ, "...be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9). Be mindful of God's intentions for allowing these thorns in your life. Don't let these thorns destroy you, but use them instead to be used by God in a good way. All for His greater glory and honor and for the good of those He may bring to your path.