. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Monday, September 06, 2010

How Much Land Does A Man Need?

By: Daily In The Word

MATTHEW 16:26 ~ "For what profit is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?"

How much is enough?

A famous Russian author in the name of Leo Tolstoy once wrote a story about a successful peasant farmer who was not satisfied with his land. He wanted more of everything.

One day he received a novel offer. For 1000 rubles, he could buy all the land he could walk around in a day. The only catch in the deal was that he had to be back at his starting point by sundown. Early the next morning he started out walking at a fast pace. By midday he was very tired, but he kept on going, covering more and more ground. Well into the afternoon he realized that his greed has taken him far from the starting point.

He quickened his pace, and as the sun began to sink low in the sky, he began to run knowing that if he did not make it back by sundown the opportunity to become an even bigger landholder would be lost. As the sun began to sink below the horizon, he came within sight of the finish line. Gasping for breath, his heart pounding, he called upon every breath of strength left in his body and staggered across the line just before the sun disappeared. He immediately collapsed. In a few minutes he was dead. Afterward, his servants dug a grave. It was not much over six feet long and three feet wide. The title of Tolstoy's story was: "How Much Land Does A Man Need?"

All the land that the man really needed was a plot of six feet long. Eventhough he had finished in time and had acres and acres of land in his possession, he couldn't enjoy it because he had given his life trying to get as much as he could.

There are many people in our world who are constantly running as fast as they can so to get as much as they can. Like this man in the story, they are pursuing wealth, powers, and possessions like they've never seen before. It is the sole goal of their lives. But when they come to the end of their lives, they won't be able to take any of it with them. What they only need is a small plot of land six feet below the ground.

You cannot take anything that you gain from this world with you when you die. The only thing you can bring with you are the souls you win for Christ. 

So while everyone else is rushing through the tides and waves of life to attain worldly possessions,  bear in mind that those things won't last. Only what you have done for Christ will last!

How are you spending your life? Are you passionately seeking another raise at your job or more possessions? Our scripture reference has been very clear about that, rather than investing your time in earthly treasure, invest it in Heavenly rewards. Our Savior said, “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also - (John 14:1-3).

Spend time in God's Word. Take time to tell other's of Christ. Live so that at the end of your life's journey here on earth, you may not have riches to take with you, but you'll have them waiting for you in Heaven.