. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Wednesday, September 03, 2014

Fashion Sense: A Call To Modesty

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

ROMANS 12:1-2 ~ "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

Does God really care what we wear?

It is certain that God cares what we wear.  And when you love God, you care. I know this is a touchy subject to deal with, but I am sticking out my neck on this because I love God and I care. I highly regard the role and dignity of a woman — how she can influence the world and the people around her. I am unfolding my new heart about beauty and fashion as an enlightened woman by the wisdom and discernment of knowing God and His statutes through His Word (Psalm 119:11-16).

I penned this down not in the position of a beauty or fashion connoisseur, but in the position of which my convictions are based on God's Word and not my own opinion. I am aware of the fact that everyone has a different notion of looking at beauty and fashion. My intention is not to disrespect anyone's views or opinions about the subject, but as my response to the burden that God has placed in my heart (Mark 12:30-31).  Seeing it in a Godly perspective, it has been such a sad thought to see women — Christians and non-christians, in this present generation vaingloriously  embracing the world's philosophy on what is beautiful, glamorous, and glitzy for the sake of fitting in.

Transparently speaking, I am not excluding myself on this. I know what it is like to be "into" beauty and fashion.  Being a former beauty titlest, I had my own share of flaws in the past which I wasn't proud of.  Such reality was a hard thing to get by because of the nature of  the business I was in. Even then, I have caught myself in numerous uncomfortable situations because I just couldn't wear some of the clothes I was asked to wear or even endorsing products for that matter.  I am not saying that fashion or product endorsement is wrong. I believe these are powerful communication tools that produce good and powerful messages to the target audience if used unselfishly and unprovocatively.

Certainly enough, it prompted me to ask this question to myself: "I am a new creation in Christ Jesus (2 Cor. 5:17), I am a saved Christian (born again), what am I doing in this kind of business?  I cannot serve two masters at the same time (Matthew 6:24).  To honor my Lord and my God, I chose to leave this type of business for good.
I don't have to be rich and famous, but I need to be pure in heart. With Godly wisdom and reverence to Christ my Lord. I have been redeemed by a Holy and All-knowing God.
Having been able to read and meditate on God's Word about His beautiful woman, I've come to realize that it is more of a heart issue than physical, but the world's view is telling us otherwise. The problem of an unchanged heart is when you look at yourself in the mirror you see the world's definition of beauty, then you begin comparing yourself to someone else ... wanting to be other than what you are not ... thinking that you are not beautiful, not thin enough, not fashionable enough, and so on.  Everything lies beneath the surface instead of seeing what God has truly made you for, your purpose, your worth as a human being created in the image and likeness of a Holy God (Genesis 1:26-27).  The Bible says in Romans 12:2, "And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God."  Until your heart is right with God, you will not be able to see the true beauty within you that comes from knowing the Lord.

I am blessed and humbled by what Nancy Leigh DeMoss said: "I believe that a woman is at her true beauty when she is modest."  As 1 Timothy 2:9-10 points out, "in like manner also, that the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but, which is proper for women professing godliness, with good works."  I adhere to God's definition of a beautiful woman (Proverbs 31:10-31). I know that God looks at the heart, but God also cares for the external for you cannot separate what's on the inside from what's on the outside for God created us as a complete being which consist of body, soul, and spirit. Therefore, we should honor God even in our body which belongs to the Lord (1 Corinthians 6:19-20).

The Word of God made me see that a woman in Christ is a woman of virtue, fortitude, dignity, grace, and humility — whose beauty radiates from within  not because she is perfect, but because she has Christ who dwells in her heart — Who is perfect and the Ultimate source of true beauty — Proverbs 30:31 says, "Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, but a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised." God's beautiful woman is not the old-fashion kind of woman like what the world thinks.  God's beautiful woman is fahionably sensible. She demonstrates meekness beyond pressure because she desires to honor God in everything she does and says.

In Godly perspective, with reverence to Christ, "Fashion Sense"  is a heart attitude that upholds the modesty of God's holiness (2 Timothy 1:9).  It promotes humility (James 4:10).  Is not conceited or self-seeking (Philippians 2:3).  Leaves a Godly-legacy for the next generation (Psalm 45:10). Pointing souls to Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2).

I know I cannot unravel my past, but now, being a new creation in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17), I stand saved, corrected, and chastened.  By the grace of God, I hope to be a light to other women who are in darkness hoping to build a lasting impression in the legacy of Christ through His Words (Psalm 119:11).  May the Lord grant wisdom, strength, and courage to the rest of the women of the world who desire to become a woman of God's beauty and strength. A woman after God's own heart.

To God be all the glory and honor in Christ Jesus my Lord and my Redeemer!
"For all the gods of the peoples are idols, but the LORD made the heavens.  Honor and majesty are before Him;  Strength and beauty are in His sanctuary." (Psalm 96:5-6)
Other Related Journal:
The Beauty of Aging Well