. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Friday, August 03, 2012

Not In Vain

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

1 CORINTHIANS 15:10 ~ "But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me was not in vain; but I labored more abundantly than they all, yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me."

Serving the Lord is never said to be a bed of roses.  You will experience tribulations from the strangest places.  You will try to help others, and others criticize what you are doing.  While seeing some Christians living their lives in carnality instead of holiness, disheartens you. You will work long years trying to make a difference, but you won't see the outcome you expected. 
... "But you, be strong and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded!"  (2 Chronicles 15:7) ...
While serving the Lord comes with great blessings (mainly eternal blessings) because that is His promise (Hebrews 6:10); Also, the Lord Jesus called His followers to take up their cross and follow Him (Mark 10:21), that means to be willing to suffer, to endure humiliation and rejection, to be hated by this world for His name sake (Matthew 10:22; Matthew 24:9; Mark 13:13; Luke 6:22).  There is a great reward for those who do God's work on earth.  However, getting a reward should not  be your main goal in serving Him.  You are serving the Lord because you love Him with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength. You are serving Him not because of what He can give you, add to you, or keep you from.  So the Lord chooses to reward our labor, let it be then according to His own time and terms.  For His glory and not for ours.
...  "The LORD repay your work, and a full reward be given you by the LORD God of Israel, under whose wings you have come for refuge." (Ruth 2:12) ...
To be used by the Lord is a privilege.  Thus, to serve Him (as the Holy Spirit leads) through different areas of our lives is not  to have people say how glorious we are.  But to have people look at us and say, "How glorious Christ is!"   To behold the name of Christ as, "His Ambassador", "His bond servant", is more than all the title, trophies, and rewards this world can ever give us.
"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Mathew 6:19-21)
Not only is the Lord pleased while you are obeying Him, but you will see the fruits of your labor in Heaven.  All the love you pour out in His name will generate imaginably wonderful results in God's kingdom.  The best investment you will ever make in your life is investing in eternity.  So have faith and keep serving Him.  You will never find a better return for your investment.
... "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your labor is not in vain in the Lord." (1 Corinthians 15:58) ...
Therefore, I will never hold back the glory that belongs to the Lord alone.  I will never back down no matter what trials may come along my way. I will never yield to the criticisms of others because of my faith. I will be, "holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain." (Philippians 2:16).  I will serve Him in all journeys of my remaining life.  For I am what I am in the grace of Christ.
"And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart." (Galatians 6:9)
Lord Jesus, keep me strong as I serve You. Remind me that it is not about seeking other's approval or earthly rewards, but all about glorifying You. In Your Holy name, I pray, amen.

Song:
I'D RATHER HAVE JESUS
(By: Rhea F. Miller, 1922)

I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold;
I’d rather be His than have riches untold;
I’d rather have Jesus than houses or lands;
I’d rather be led by His nail-pierced hand

Refrain:
Than to be the king of a vast domain
And be held in sin’s dread sway;
I’d rather have Jesus than anything
This world affords today.

I’d rather have Jesus than men’s applause;
I’d rather be faithful to His dear cause;
I’d rather have Jesus than worldwide fame;
I’d rather be true to His holy name

He’s fairer than lilies of rarest bloom;
He’s sweeter than honey from out the comb;
He’s all that my hungering spirit needs;
I’d rather have Jesus and let Him lead.