. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Give Unto The Lord the Glory Due To His Name

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

PSALM 29:2 ~ "Give unto the Lord the glory due to His name; Worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness."

During my interview it seemed as though I didn't promote myself enough to convince the interviewer to pick me. Most of the questions that were thrown at me required answers for self-promotion.  Although the interviewer was trying to make a decision sometime that week, but I already knew at the back of my mind, that the chance of me being chosen was not likely.  A week later, I turned out to be right.  Contemplating about it, the very reason why I was hesitant to sell myself (not because I don't know how) and give the answers that the interviewer wanted to hear, because of the very thought that I wanted the LORD to get all the glory. Though tempted I was to speak of myself of the LORD's given achievements in my own personal journey, but I was mindful all the time while exchanging conversation with the interviewer about the LORD, to "Give unto the LORD the glory due to His name;" (v.2). Not to steal any single glory from Him. "He is a jealous God." (Joshua 24:19d). I admit, promoting myself, before I became a saved (born again) Christian, was never difficult. But now that I came to a Personal Relationship with Christ, who died for me, I became conscious of the LORD's glory, His holiness. I must decrease, Christ must increase!

I would like to share this devotional I read from the journal of Charles Haddon Spurgeon's, Morning & Evening. Not only it comforted my disquieted heart, but it reminded me of who the LORD is, His unfathomable grace and mercy, that I need not to be perfect to do His will.  Knowing that I did not succeed on that interview, but I remain in the LORD.  He is in control.  He is Good.  He is Holy.  He is Perfect.  He is Enough. To Him be all the glory!
God's glory is the result of His nature and His activity. He is glorious in His nature because He is holy; everything within Him is good, and lovely. The actions that flow from His character are also glorious, and they put His goodness, mercy, and justice on display. But the glory associated with His actions must be reserved for God Himself. 
Certainly, there is nothing within ourselves in which we may glory. What do we have that we have not received from His gracious hand? How careful we ought to be to walk humbly before the Lord! There is only room for one glory in the universe, and the moment we glorify ourselves we set ourselves up as rivals to the Most High. Should the dust of the desert strive against the whirlwind or the drops of the ocean struggle with the storm? 
Give unto the Lord the glory, strength, and honor due unto His name. This is a simple command, but learning to do it is one of the hardest struggles of the Christian life. "Not unto us, not unto us, [O Lord], but unto Your name be the glory." It’s a lesson that God is always teaching us-- and teaching us sometimes through the most painful discipline. Let a Christian begin to boast, "I can do all things," (without adding "through Christ who strengthens me") and before long he will have to groan, "I can do nothing," as he grovels in the dust. When we do anything for the Lord, let us understand and declare openly that, "It wasn’t me (in and of myself), but it was the grace of God working within me!" -Charles H. Spurgeon, "Morning & Evening
"For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us—a sphere which especially includes you.  For we are not overextending ourselves (as though our authority did not extend to you), for it was to you that we came with the gospel of Christ;  not boasting of things beyond measure, that is, in other men’s labors, but having hope,that as your faith is increased, we shall be greatly enlarged by you in our sphere, to preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man’s sphere of accomplishment. But “he who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”  For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends." -2 Corinthians 10:12-18