. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Seeking To Be Wise

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

JAMES 1:5 ~ "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."

PSALM 1:1-3
"Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
But his delight is in the law of the Lord,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper."

Recently at my job, I have been dealing with a past situation, which I have put aside and told myself never to look back. Yet here I am, seeing myself in the midst of it. The situation came across as more challenging than it was before. I found myself in a dilemma and I don’t know how to best handle the situation. After prayers and careful consideration of my options, I am still uncertain of the right path to take. I shared this burden with my husband—the first thing he told me was not to worry and put it in the hands of the Lord, and that together we would keep praying. So I went on. But strangely at work, I have several co-workers who have asked me about my situation even if I don’t talk often about it, I honestly felt hesitant to respond because I am a saved Christian, living and serving the Lord, in a secular workplace, and explaining these things to them may not be that easy and may have turned them away. But I am not ashamed of the "gospel of Christ," (Romans 1:16a) and my testimony of Him, so I spoke. I told myself that working with the unsaved, that I find it difficult to seek for Godly advice with motives intune with God’s plan for me. Though they have offered some advice and pointed me to different directions which I could possibly take, I still don't  feel like rushing myself in going for their advice. I am not saying that the Lord Almighty couldn’t use other people—saved or unsaved, as a vessel of His wisdom, but in my case, I need to make sure that the advice I have been getting was from the Lord and not from the world’s perspective of trying to achieve a purpose no matter what the cost. Undeniably though, the feedbacks I have been getting from my co-workers were seemed to be in one accord with what I have been praying and hoping to happen. But to confirm of the path where the Lord wanted me to take, that remains unclear for me at this point in my journey. I know He closed the door for me in the past, but with His mercies that are new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23), He can open a new one if it is within His will. "There are many plans in a man’s heart, Nevertheless the Lord’s counsel—that will stand." (Proverbs 19:21)

Life, with its many ups and downs, can confront us with challenges and decisions that are not easy to make on our own. We may pray about the situation and read God’s Word for enlightenment, but still feel confused and uncertain about the direction we should take. In these times it can be helpful to seek the counsel of other wise and godly people.

There are many Scriptures in the Bible that clearly points out the benefit of godly counsel and the harm of ungodly counsel. The psalmist in Chapter 1 verses 1-3 specifically mentioned the benefit.  To quote a few, "The thoughts of the righteous are right, but the counsels of the wicked are deceitful." (Proverbs 12:5) Therefore it is necessary when seeking counsel that we examine the character and values of the person(s) of whom we receive advice.  Not only are one’s character and values of utmost importance, we must also factor in a person’s motives when evaluating the merit of their advice. Receiving advice from a person who has a self-vested interest or potential gain from the decision we make can lead us off track. An understated, but equally misleading advice may come from people who care about us, who give advice based on their own expectations, insecurities or fears. For instance, a situation that would require total dependence upon the Lord may make a family member or friend feel apprehensive and unwilling to support. To seek counsel from people who know and love God, seek His will and will be unbiased towards our circumstances, and faithful to the truth of God's Word, is therefore very crucial.
"But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy."
(James 3:17)
At times, it is best to hear from several godly people and assess the direction of the Lord by understanding where there is peace and concurrence, instead of relying on the sole advice of an individual. When the early church was challenged with a question of doctrine that was causing opposition and dispute, they decided to come together to consider the matter collectively (Acts 15:6).  "Where no counsel is, the people fall; but in the multitude of counselors there is safety." (Proverbs 11:14).  It is wise to receive counsel from an extended group of confidant when considering major changes in life or when facing significant life battles. "For by wise counsel you shall wage your war, and in a multitude of counselors there is safety." (Proverbs 24:6). Being mindful always "for the battle is the Lord's" (1 Samuel 17:47L), "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places." (Ephesians 6:12). However, when we receive counsel from a group of people, we cannot assume that the majority is always right. Upon the Lord’s instruction, Moses sent spies into the Land of Canaan to see what the land was like and whether the people in the land were strong or weak. After forty days, the spies came back and reported that the land "truly flows with milk and honey", but that the people in the land were too strong to overtake. Only Joshua and Caleb had faith to believe that the land could be conquered (read Numbers 13:14:10).

As we mull over the counsel we receive from others we need to ask ourselves this question, "Does this advice fit the character and nature of God as portrayed in the Bible?" We should test to see whether the counsel we receive is true and honest, just, pure, loving, of good report and would glorify God. (Philippians 4:8).

Seeking wise counsel is a sign of humility and maturity, "A wise man will hear and will increase learning, and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels." (Proverbs 1:5). Learning to discern the difference between wise and unwise counsel requires discernment and reliance upon God’s Word (Psalm 1:1-2) and the Holy Spirit (John 16:13). "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but test the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world." (1 John 4:1)

Above all, our trust should never be in the people who give the advice, but in God who through His Holy Spirit can use people to give us wisdom and assist us along the path of life.

I have learned in God’s Word, that seeking to be wise, prevents me from making unwise decisions that will eventually harbor a pile of loss, grief, and regrets in my life. When I've learned to submit and humble myself before the Lord, I've become teachable.

God’s wisdom is my roadmap to my daily Christian walk. My guide in this pilgrim’s road. Walk wisely with the unwise.  This is my power, I TRUST THE LORD wholeheartedly (no " if's" no "buts").

You will show me the path of life;
In Your presence is fullness of joy;
At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore.
________________________________

Prayer: Oh, LORD JESUS, my life is too short to waste.  I don't want to spend this life just going through this meaningless treadmill labor and sorrow.  I want my life to be spent in light of eternity.  I want it to be invested in a way that brings You glory.  And so, LORD, would You let Your beauty be upon me? And would You establish the work of my hands, transform my labors into something that is meaningful for Your kingdom?  Laboring not just because of what I want or others want of me, but because of what You want of me, LORD. I trust You that by Your grace You're able to transform this sorrowful, short life into an abundant, joyous, not always easy, but hope-filled life that looks forward to all eternity in Your presence.  In Your Precious Holy Name, I pray.  Amen.
________________________

All I Ever Want To Be (Lord, Be Glorified)
( Matt and Christy Taylor )
Album Title: Everlasting Praise, 2010

All I ever want to be is what You want of me, Lord,
I give my life to You.
And all my hopes and dreams and plans I place within Your hands, Lord,
And give my life to You.
Here am I, Lord, use me;
Take my life and mold me.
All I ever want to be is what You want of me, Lord,
I give my life to You.
And all my hopes and dreams and plans I place within Your hands, Lord,
And give my life to You.
Every day You give me grace; I find my strength in You, Lord,
I give my life to You.
And though it seems that I will fail, through You I will prevail, Lord,
I give my life to You.
Here am I, Lord, use me;
Take my life and mold me.
All I ever want to be is what You want of me, Lord,
I give my life to You.
And all my hopes and dreams and plans I place within Your hands, Lord,
And give my life to You.