. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Monday, June 04, 2012

The Tongue Is A Fire

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

JAMES 3:1-12 ~ "Let not many of you become teachers, my brethren, knowing that as such we will incur a stricter judgment. For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well.  Now if we put the bits into the horses’ mouths so that they will obey us, we direct their entire body as well.  Look at the ships also, though they are so great and are driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder wherever the inclination of the pilot desires.  So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. See how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire!  And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell.  For every  species of beasts and birds, of reptiles and creatures of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by the human  race.  But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison.  With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.  Does a fountain send out from the same opening both  fresh and bitter water?  Can a fig tree, my brethren, produce olives, or a vine produce figs? Nor can salt water produce fresh."

“The pen is mightier than the sword”, and so is the power of words. Words can build and liven up others, mend broken hearts, and bring God honor and praises. However, words can also be debilitating. Perhaps, this little member of our body, called the tongue, is the most powerful, intoxicating member of our body—so little and yet boasts great things. An unruly tongue full of deadly poison can cause insurmountable pain and mayhem, destroying lives, and grieving the heart of God.

When I was meditating on God’s words about the tongue, I felt a bit hesitant to continue with my journal on this subject—being mindful of what the Scripture says on James 3:1, “My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.”;  I am not a teacher, let me be clear on that. But even then, I hold myself accountable for the things I say and do for God in my life—as a believer and as a child of God. I desire my words to match my actions, my life to reflect the image of His Son Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior. Therefore, every word that proceeds from my mouth matters to me for they can either glorify the Lord, encourage, or dishearten others.

Mindful of Ephesians 4:29:
“Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.”
Perhaps we may have been guilty of speaking against others and have not realized how it may have grieved them. Until someone speaks against us—then we suddenly realize how deeply such words cut through our heart that we become mindful to how we have hurt others.

Are you struggling in keeping your tongue under control?

Are you defaming others with your tongue?  Do you gossip?

Are you a fault-finder? Quick to criticize with your tongue?

Are you speaking words that are unwholesome, nonsense?

Are you quick to shoot off your own opinion?

How grateful are you?  Do you complain too much with your tongue?

Are you building up or tearing down with your tongue today?  If this is a gray area of your life that’s crippling your spiritual walk with God and others, there is hope. As a matter of fact the Scriptures say that if we control our tongues, we can control everything else in our body. The good news is that our tongues can be tamed, disciplined, changed into the newness of Christ by the grace of God and the power of His Spirit. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17).  Words are powerful!

Other Scriptural references:

Song:
Words and Music by Abigail Miller
Copyright 2001-2010 by Abigail Miller Ministries

Words can be so meaningful words can do so much
Words can deal a vicious blow or lend a healing touch
When you speak the power of the tongue is yours to claim
Speak a word of love in Jesus’ name.

Chorus:
Speak love into the lives of those around you
Speak truth from your heart and show you care
Speak peace and let it shine from your life and through your eyes
Speak joy into sad and empty lives.

A word that’s fitly spoken is beautiful to hear
Where such words are present we know the Lord is near
Speak a word in season to the weary and oppressed
Speak a word of hope and peace and rest.

ust one word can do so much to heal a torn and troubled soul
Lead them to the One who makes them whole.