. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Friday, June 22, 2012

Love God and People More Than Things

By: Erlinda Mejia-Olson

1 JOHN 2:15-17 ~ “Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—is not of the Father but is of the world. And the world is passing away, and the lust of it; but he who does the will of God abides forever.”

The subject at hand reminded me of a homeless man who made an impact to us.  I am sharing this particular journey with you not to pride myself for something good that I have done, but because I have been contemplating on the phrase, “Love God and people more than things”.  It is easy said than done—for no one is good, only God is good (Matthew 19:17; Mark 10:18; Romans 3:23). While the scripture also says, “… if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.” (2 Corinthians 5:17). There is nothing more pleasing in the eyes of the Lord than an obedient heart that seeks to glorify Him. Loving God and people more than things, may seemingly be a very difficult thing to do, however, the apostle Paul encourages us that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (Philippians 4:13). Therefore, cheer up my fellow believers in Christ for it is doable, possible—if we embrace the humility and meekness of our dear Savior (Romans 8:37; John 16:33).
A distressed, homeless, man stopped in the middle of the street as soon as the traffic light turned red. Though the cigarette in his mouth didn’t appeal to be encouraging for us, we felt a pinch in our hearts as the man courageously approached every vehicle that was anxiously waiting for the light to turn green. The man started making his way towards our vehicle hoping to beg for some money, when the light turned green and it was time to go. I looked at my husband and said, “I may not know the life story of the homeless man, but all I know is that he looks superbly tired, lifeless. I know he needs a lot of  “TLCs” (tender loving care), but most of all he needs Jesus.”  When I thought of how Jesus laid His life unconditionally for a worm like me, I was able to look beyond the irritating cigarette in the man’s mouth, and thought of his needs and his soul.
The next day, my husband passed on the same highway, stopped on the same street, and saw the same homeless man; this time the man successfully made his way to our vehicle, without any hesitation, my husband gladly handed over to him a Bible tract and little cash for his needs.  Later on that day, my husband approached me with a smile on his face and said, “Lin, I saw the homeless man today, and I did what I promised you.”  I was taken aback.  To Christ be all the glory!
In various times, the Lord has presented to us instances where we can bring Him more glory and honor and to make a difference in someone’s life. Yet how many times also we overlooked those instances because of our fear of being uncomfortable. We pride so much with our comfort blankets, that getting out of our comfort zone may seem to be an unknown territory. I can speak for my own, a countless times I come guilty and ashamed before the Lord for backing-down instead of pursuing Godly attributes. Yet, the very truth is, Jesus never quits on us. Therefore, this is the way I should be too. Or anyone who professes to be a Christian.  Jesus sets the perfect example on how we ought to love God and people.  He humbled Himself and made Himself of no reputation:
“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.” (Philippians 2:5-8).
Material things will come and go, but the difference we make in a life of a person imprints forever.  Be mindful: It is all about Christ, it is never about us.  Love God and people more than things.
“Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” (1 Corinthians 13:4-7)