. . . I don't claim that I know everything about life. But one thing I am certain that apart from the love and mercies of Christ—I AM NOTHING. " But God forbid that I should boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world."(Galatians 6:14). All to JESUS I surrender. . .all to Thee my Blessed Savior. . .I surrender all. Thank YOU my Precious LORD JESUS for all Your blessings in my life. I love YOU, and thank YOU for loving me first. Forever Yours--Erlinda Mejia Olson

Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Be Not Afraid

In this coming year, there are many who are in fear of losing their home and job. As believers in God, we are  told:  "Fear not, for I am with you; "Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10).

The uncertain circumstances of this world, if we focus on them, could possibly drive us all out of our mind. Studying this verse today causes us to remember: "Fear thou not for I am with thee," God is standing by and He is still in charge and He does know what is going on around us. "The fear of man brings a snare, But whoever trusts in the LORD shall be safe." (Proverbs 29:25). It will take faith and prayer to the Lord to keep the fears of this world away.

The meaning of dismay is, "to deprive of that strength or firmness of mind which constitutes courage; to discourage; to dishearten; to sink or depress the spirits or resolution; hence, to affright or terify."  When we put a suffix of  "ed" on dismay, we get dismayed. The dictionary says, it means "to be disheartened; deprived of courage." Joshua faced a great unknown after Moses had died. Being the new leader of Israel, how was he going to take them into the promised land? He, like us, faced many unknowns and was told: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9).

Isaiah 4:10 tells us: "I will strengthen you!" What a promise from God, to receive the strength we need from Him! When we look upon our own strength, we will find it small and less than what we expected and less than what we need. Now is the time to look back and draw encouragement from the times of trial and tribulation in which God provided the answers. Often, we think, but this time, it is different. It is a lot bigger problem that we must face this year than in the years past. The fact is, God gives unexpected strength when unusual trials come upon us. Paul admitted his own weakness: "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." (2 Corinthians 12:10).

The next part of the verse repeats "I will" three times; all from God: "I will strengthen you...I will help you...I will uphold you..."  What wonderful guarantees from God! When it appears that we cannot act on our own, we often look to human assistance ( and yes, God at times uses human instrumentality), because man thinks he has to assist in every trouble known to mankind. Men will even come up with programs, bring them into the church, and say, we have the solution to the problem. "Give us help from trouble, For the help of man is useless." (Psalm 60:11). We must remember: So we may boldly say:  "The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to  me?" 
(Hebrews 13:6).

Look to God because His help is more than help, He bears all our burdens and supplies all our needs. When we can't figure it all out, there is one more verse: "Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us  with groanings which cannot be uttered." (Romans 8:26).

Reference: From Pastor's Desk
Rev.  Anselmo B. Ingay
Bible Baptist Church, Davao City Philippines